a charm bracelet...

Saturday, March 30, 2013



i think just about everyone has a little trinket or two that means something to them. i have my grandmother's college ring, a pair of earrings from a trip to Spain when i was eleven that i only wear on special occasions, my wedding ring: a very thin band of sparkly diamonds engraved with "all the way," the Frank Sinatra song we first danced to at our wedding & a phrase that embodies the two of us together. but the most meaningful piece of jewelry i own is a charm bracelet. it was my moms, given to her as a child & just recently, it was given to me. i can not tell you how much this piece of jewelry means to me. each little charm tells its own story and i am so honored to wear it. there is space to add hundreds of more charms & i hope to one day give it to my daughter when she becomes my age. 

my mom means the world to me. i think that it is very important in parenting to not let your children think that you are their "friend"... and my mom has raised me in a tough, but loving way that allows us to be so close, while still keeping me in line. she is comforting when needed & yet, can effortlessly snap me out of it when i am feeling sorry for myself. she is the strongest woman i know, busy all the time, raised four great kids, & always has time to look effortlessly chic. she doesn't even realize how beautiful she is. you'll tell her "mom, you look so pretty today" and she'll punch you in the arm. she was one of my gymnastics coaches when i was younger & i still hear today from my old teammates "i just love your mother" because it is true, we all love her. and with this big move coming up to San Francisco, as much as i am excited, & as much as i am ready to start a new chapter with my husband, i will miss the woman who has the biggest impact on my life. the woman who made me into the person i am today. 

but now, i have this bracelet. and every time i look at it i will think of her. and i can not tell you how excited i am to add my own charms to it. to intertwine her memories with my own. i hope one day it becomes an heirloom for our family. one where my daughter will be just as honored as i am to wear it... one day.

1 comment:

  1. I almost cried reading this! Like you, I have an amazing relationship with my mother. They truly are amazing women and they have had more of an impact in our lives then they realize :-) My mom and I are still extremely close even with the 3,000 miles between us! The distance makes talking to each other that much more special! Your charm bracelet is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete